As we head into the coldest months of the year, it’s important to know how to stay fighting fit this winter.
When winter hits and the days become shorter and darker earlier in the evening, your day's works feel longer, and it as though we become tired more easily, feeling of being run-down and more stressed, and as a result we are more prone to catching colds and the dreaded flu.
In a recent article on the Wellness Daily website, Flannerys Organic & Wholefood Market food scientist Joshua Gaudry shared his top 5 immune- boosting products to help stay healthy in the winter:
1. Fire tonic: This is apple cider vinegar on steroids, he explained. Fire tonic has a perfect array of warming ingredients, including cayenne pepper that’ll be sure to light your inner fire this winter.
2. Eat/drink bone broths: “Not only delicious and good for the gut, bone broths have a wide amount of immune system benefits, too. In particular, the amino acids in chicken bone broth – such as cysteine and glycine – are building blocks for important immunomodulating factors,” Mr Gaudry advised.
3. Vitamin C and zinc are important immunity boosters: “Citrus fruits, dark leafy greens, broccoli, kiwi fruit, bell peppers and capsicum are a good source of vitamin C and beta carotene. Zinc can be found in pepitas, seafood, cashew nuts and mung beans.”
4. Herbs: Herbs such as astragalus, Siberian ginseng and reishi mushrooms have been found to boost immunity.
5. Fermented foods: Fermented foods like kefir, kimchi or sauerkraut are great because they contain lots of vitamins that help fight bacteria and inflammation.
Reference: Wellness Daily